Child safety and drowning are major concerns for every parent on Long Island. While swimming pools provide hours of fun for the family, it is important that we are aware of the risks associated with having a pool at home. Especially if you have small children at home, a child safety fence is a must have. With so many of the storms occurring around the country, it’s time to make sure everything is installed correctly and certainly undamaged.
Proper Maintenance Is The Answer: Safety Is Not A One Time Event
Installing a quality pool fence helps prevent unauthorized access to the pool and avoids accidental drowning. If you already have one, it is important to regularly check for damages as a damaged pool fence poses a drowning risk. And just like anything else around our homes, keeping it in good condition requires proper maintenance.
Remember that your fence is installed close to your pool and is exposed to water and other chemicals which can damage your fencing. Depending on the type of fence you installed, some of them requires a high level of maintenance to keep in good working condition.
Here are some tips on how you can keep your pool fence in great shape:
- Ask your pool fence installer for suggestions on how to properly clean your fencing materials. Cleaning helps eliminate the health hazard that dirt carries to your children.
- Regularly check for possible gaps in the fence.
- Check frequently for holes especially if you are using a mesh fence.
- Check to see if the gates still lock and close properly.
- Ensure pool alarms are working properly. Check if it needs new batteries.
- If your fence is damaged, call a pool fence contractor to make the necessary repairs and upgrades, or replace them when needed. If you need to replace them, consider using a temporary pool fence. This promotes child safety around the pool while work is ongoing.
Owning a swimming pool comes with a great responsibility. You need to make sure your pool barriers are in great shape. A pool fence may not guarantee complete protection but it keeps unsupervised children from getting into your pool, keeping them from harm.
Life Saver will be happy to take your questions on how to maintain and repair damaged swimming pool fence to maximize child safety. Or if you need to install new pool fencing, contact us today at (516) 766-5336. While we are getting into the Fall season in New York, there is still plenty of time to have an installation performed.